
The president of the Meghalaya Cricket Association (MCA) James PK Sangma on Saturday, May 23, condemned the deliberate cover-up of sexual harassment complaints filed by members of the state’s Under-23 Women’s Cricket Team, naming the association’s current Secretary Rayonald Kharkamni — who also served as Secretary when the complaints were first filed last year — along with other officials, as ones who attempted to bury the matter for nearly six months.
In a strongly-worded public statement, Sangma said it was deeply concerning that even while Kharkamni had knowledge of the matter when the complaints were filed in December last year, there was no action taken, inquiry initiated, or response given to the complainants, and neither was there any communication made to the President after the handing over in January this year.
The complaints, filed by members of the Under-23 Women’s team in December last year, name the squad’s head coach and team manager on charges of sexual harassment.
“Feigning ignorance in the name of elections when a larger matter was at hand, misleading everyone when till date no inquiry was conducted or even a basic response given to complainants, tells the larger story of what the MCA has been and still continues to be for some people in it,” Sangma said.
What drew the sharpest criticism from Sangma was the decision to include the accused team manager in the nomination list for the NECDC Under-23 Women’s T20 Trophy, held from April 6 to 11 this year — a list submitted to him for approval.
