Thursday, February 19

Meghalaya

Meghalaya DGP gets extension of 6 months
Meghalaya

Meghalaya DGP gets extension of 6 months

The Centre has extended the service of DGP Idashisha Nongrang for six more months from.May 19 this year. A notification issued on February 11 said that the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved the proposal of Ministry of Home Affairs 'for extension in service of Idashisha Nongrang, Director General of Police, Meghalaya, for a period of 6 months beyond 19.05.2026, in relaxation of Rule 16(1) of AIS (DCRB) Rules, 1958, as a special case in public interest'.
NHRC notice to Meghalaya govt, state police chief over 18 workers’ d*ath after blast at coal mine
Meghalaya

NHRC notice to Meghalaya govt, state police chief over 18 workers’ d*ath after blast at coal mine

The National Himan Rights Commission (NHRC) on Wednesday said it has issued a notice to the the Meghalaya government and the state's police chief over reports that 18 workers died after a blast at an "illegal coal mine" in the Thangskai area of East Jaintia Hills earlier this month. Reportedly, the incident has left several others trapped at unspecified depths, the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) said in a statement. The commission has "taken suo motu cognisance of a media report that 18 workers died after a blast at an illegal coal mine in Thangskai area of East Jaintia Hills, Meghalaya, on February 5," it said. Notices have been sent to the Chief Secretary of Meghalaya and the Director General of Police, directing them to submit a detailed report within two weeks. Accordin...
Ex MLA Mohendro Rapsang leaves NPP
Meghalaya

Ex MLA Mohendro Rapsang leaves NPP

In a major political development, former West Shillong MLA Mohendro Rapsang resigned from the National People’s Party (NPP) on Wednesday.Rapsang sent his resignation letter to he state party president Pestone Tynsong. Rapsang said he has yet to decide on the next course of action.When asked whether he will join any political party, Rapsang said, "Many well wishers have called me..." To a question as to joining the BJP, Rapsang said, "I have not decided anything".
Death Toll in East Jaintia Hills Blast Climbs to 32, Probe into Illegal Mining Intensifies
Meghalaya

Death Toll in East Jaintia Hills Blast Climbs to 32, Probe into Illegal Mining Intensifies

The death toll from the February 5 dynamite explosion at an illegal coal mine in Meghalaya's East Jaintia Hills has risen to 32, with two more victims succumbing to injuries during treatment. The Deputy Commissioner, Manish Kumar, reported that Jamil Ahmed Choudhury and Deb Malakar died in hospitals following the incident. In response, the district administration has intensified efforts against illegal mining, deploying five multi-agency enforcement teams to conduct raids and seizing approximately 432.15 metric tonnes of coal in one day. This brings the total coal confiscated in ongoing operations to over 4,800 metric tonnes, with multiple FIRs filed and legal proceedings initiated. To enhance public safety, the District Magistrate imposed prohibitory orders under Section 163 of the Bh...
Heritage Preservation Case Listed for Hearing in Meghalaya HC on March 11
Meghalaya

Heritage Preservation Case Listed for Hearing in Meghalaya HC on March 11

The High Court of Meghalaya will address the preservation of heritage sites, including the Laban Circuit House, on March 11. The Division Bench, led by Chief Justice Revati Mohite Dere and Justice W. Diengdoh, directed the State Heritage Committee to submit an affidavit within two weeks detailing the identification and protection of historical properties as mandated by a previous court order. This order stemmed from a public interest litigation (PIL) concerning the proposed demolition of Bidhan Chandra Roy’s house in Shillong, which currently serves as a circuit house, to make way for a new multi-storey building. The court underscored the cultural significance of heritage and instructed the committee to assess the heritage status of crucial sites, emphasizing the need for preservation for...
Meghalaya Govt Hands Over Land for Holiday Inn Resort Project in Tura
Meghalaya

Meghalaya Govt Hands Over Land for Holiday Inn Resort Project in Tura

The Meghalaya government has handed over land for a Rs 130-crore hotel project in Tura on Wednesday.The ceremonial handover of land for setting up the proposed Holiday Inn Resort Project by InterContinental Hotels Group (IHG) was carried out during a programme organized by the Department of Tourism, Government of Meghalaya at Hotel Polo Orchid. The programme was attended by Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma as chief guest, in the presence of Tourism Minister Timothy D. Shira and Minister for PHE, Soil and Water Conservation and Housing, Marcuise N. Marak, along with senior government officials, representatives of IHG, and other stakeholders. In his keynote address, Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma described the occasion as both historic and deeply personal. “I am sure many of us co...
Conrad Inaugurates Nokrek Skate Park At Tura Govt College
Meghalaya

Conrad Inaugurates Nokrek Skate Park At Tura Govt College

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma on Wednesday inaugurated the Nokrek Skate Park at Tura Government College under the Sports Infrastructure Development initiative, aimed at strengthening sports infrastructure and youth engagement in West Garo Hills.The skate park has been developed as a Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) initiative of Decathlon and implemented by OneStage in collaboration with Global Himalayan Expedition (GHE).The facility is intended to promote alternative sports and provide a dedicated recreational space for young people in the region.In his address, the Chief Minister acknowledged the efforts of Tura Government College, local stakeholders, and partner organisations in the successful completion of the project.Recalling that he had laid the foundation stone fo...
NEC releases funds for key development projects in Meghalaya and Northeast
Meghalaya

NEC releases funds for key development projects in Meghalaya and Northeast

The North Eastern Council (NEC) has released funds for several development projects in Meghalaya as part of its continued efforts to strengthen infrastructure, education, healthcare, and connectivity across the Northeast region. According to official information, the NEC released more than ₹5.69 crore for different projects in Meghalaya during January 2026, while a larger allocation was also made for development works across the entire Northeast. Officials said the funds for Meghalaya will support a number of important initiatives, including the construction of school buildings, improvement of healthcare facilities, and development of cultural infrastructure. Among the projects receiving financial support is the construction of a new school building at RKM School located in Nongjngi Na...
15 villages covered under Jal Jeevan Mission in Garo and Khasi Hills
Meghalaya

15 villages covered under Jal Jeevan Mission in Garo and Khasi Hills

Fifteen villages across West Garo Hills and Eastern West Khasi Hills in Meghalaya were awarded ‘Har Ghar Jal’ certificates on Tuesday, marking a major milestone under the Jal Jeevan Mission during the observance of Jal Arpan Diwas. In Eastern West Khasi Hills, a certification programme was held at Mairang in the presence of Mawthadraishan MDC Powell Sohkhlet and ADC V.A. Hynniewta. Ten villages were recognised during the event From the Mairang block, Tiehbah, Nongum, Mawsawa Umdiengshit, Maroid and Umniangriang received certificates, while Kynshi Mawria, Kynshi Mawphanain, Mawkatad, Mawsynnam and Mawkohngei from the Mawthadraishan block were also formally certified. The Mairang celebrations included community activities such as a 'Jal Walk' and a 'Jal Vandana' skit staged by residents ...
NHRC Seeks Report After Taking Suo Motu Cognizance of Meghalaya Mine Blast
Meghalaya

NHRC Seeks Report After Taking Suo Motu Cognizance of Meghalaya Mine Blast

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) of India has initiated suo motu proceedings regarding a devastating explosion at an illegal coal mine located in the East Jaintia Hills district of Meghalaya. This tragic incident, which transpired on February 5, has resulted in a rising death toll of 30 individuals, with reports indicating that many others remain trapped at unknown depths within the mine. The NHRC has expressed concern that, if the allegations reported in the media hold true, there are significant human rights violations affecting the victims. In response, the NHRC has dispatched notices to both the Chief Secretary and the Director General of Police in Meghalaya, demanding a comprehensive report on the situation within a two-week timeframe. This report is anticipated to detail ...